The Montessori Primary is an especially prepared environment, geared to the size, pace and interest of children three to six years of age. The children are a community of workers who act on their own initiatives, meeting needs through individual, spontaneous activities.
The work focuses on these areas:
- Practical Life - Care of self and the environment
- Sensorial - Development of the discriminatory powers of all the senses
- Language Arts - Phonetic program of individual sounds in language and creative "writing" with the moveable alphabet
- Geometry and Mathematics - Concrete materials for basic concepts and computations
- Geography and Science - Manipulative materials for organizing the biological and physical world
- Fine Arts - Activities for coordination of movement, music and song
The Primary day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 11:30 a.m. for those children under the age of five.
Primary Extended Day
Children are invited by the directress to join in the Extended Day when they have the academic readiness and maturity for the longer school day. Children in Extended Day are engaged in more advanced work and may be engaged for several days on one project.
The Extended day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:15 p.m.
Primary All Day (a.k.a. Nappers)
Children ages 3 and 4 who are not enrolled in the Primary Extended Day can stay until the 3:15 dismissal. During this time they will have lunch with their classmates, take a short rest and return to the classroom for dismissal at 3:15. (Enrollment is limited. For additional information, please contact the office at 527-3444.)
The Nappers day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:15 p.m.