The Montessori Primary environment is specially prepared and geared to the size, pace and interest of children three to six years old.
The children serve as a community of workers who act on their own initiatives while meeting needs through individual, spontaneous activities. Work in the Primary environment focuses on these areas:
- Practice life: Care for self and the learning environment.
- Sensorial: Development of the discriminatory powers of all five senses.
- Language arts: Phonetic program of individual sounds in language and creative “writing” with the movable alphabet.
- Geometry and mathematics: Concrete materials for basic concepts and computations.
- Geography and science: Manipulative materials for organizing the biological and physical world.
- Fine arts: Activities for coordination of movement, music and song.
The Primary day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 11:30 a.m. for those children under the age of five.
Primary Extended Day
Children are invited by the directress to join in the extended day program when they have the academic readiness and maturity for a longer school day. Children in extended day engage in more advanced work and may be engaged for several days on one project.
Primary extended day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:15 p.m.
Primary All Day (“Nappers”)
Children ages three and four years old who are not enrolled in the Primary extended day can stay until dismissal at 3:15 p.m. During this time, they will have lunch with their classmates, take a short rest and return to the classroom for dismissal. Enrollment is limited. Please contact the office for additional information.
Nappers begins at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3:15 p.m.
If you are interested in learning more about the Primary Environment, please email email@example.com.